Weddings and Special Events
With less than 100 days until the start and with by far the best medal haul in the last three Olympic games, sailing buffs would be crazy to miss the opportunity to see Team GB perform at the greatest sailing spectacle the United Kingdom has ever hosted.
Between Sunday 29th July and Saturday 11th August 2012, the Dorset towns of Weymouth and Portland will be inundated with thousands of sailing enthusiasts from every corner of the world, all vying for the chance to witness the thirteen events (of which ten are medal events) in this year’s Olympic and Paralympic Games calendar. And, as if that was not enough to whet your appetite, an estimated 10,000 spectators are expected to grace the beach at Weymouth to witness the opening of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in the county of Dorset on 28th July. Eighty performers from “Breathe”, commissioned by the Arts Council, will take part in displays of circus, dance and cabaret.
With so many people descending on the area around Weymouth, getting reasonably priced accommodation in and around the town itself will certainly prove challenging. After all, it’s not every day that Weymouth plays host to events of such magnitude as the Olympic and Paralympic games. A wise choice for the sailing enthusiast travelling to Dorset would be to seek out hotels and guest houses a little further afield.
Twenty-five miles and a forty minute drive to West of Weymouth lies Charmouth, and with it the outstanding natural beauty, welcome and service provided by the Fernhill Hotel: A hotel where luxury really can be yours at excellent value for money rates… especially if you act quickly. To secure the gold medal standard for your unforgettable Olympic sailing experience this summer (and still keep the gold in your pocket), call 01297 560492 or visit www.fernhill-hotel.co.uk and book online
Top deal During the Olympics is a discounted rate for Dinner, Bed & Breakfast bookings of 3 nights or more – making sure after a day enjoying the competition at Weymouth, you can relax and be well fed for less!
For practical information about viewing the Olympic and Paralympic sailing events in Weymouth and Portland, see: http://www.london2012.com/weymouth-and-portland
For more information regarding the events schedule itself, see: http://www.london2012.com/olympic-schedule
For great priced Weymouth Olympic accommodation, call us!
Okay so Valentine’s Day is an excuse for Greetings Card companies to sell more stock, but its also the perfect excuse to show your loved one you care. In this busy world sometimes it is those closest to us who are forgotten when we are busy, stressed or just over-worked, so why not take the Valentine opportunity to take some time out with the person you love, and remind them how much you love them?
We have lots of ways to say ‘I Love you’ from our Valentine’s Menu available from 10th – 18th Feb. We also offer a Valentine Package for 1 or 2 nights on the 2 weekends around the 14th, so you can enjoy some serious time together and be truly taken care of http://www.fernhill-hotel.co.uk/offers.php
For a weekend which tells your Valentine just how much you care we include our Valentine menu for one night and Dinner in our a la carte menu on the second night – tea & cake on arrival to begin the unwind process, and homemade biscuits, massage oil and a Red Rose in your room. We have organised walks and places to visit so you don’t even need to plan how to fill your days! And with an extensive DVD library you could always relax in your beautifully appointed room and forget about the ‘Real world’ for 48hours…
Book a Table or a Stay with us today – and remind yourselves how beautiful love is!
Valentine Menu 2012
Please enjoy a glass of bubbly with our compliments
Home made Spinach & Watercress Soup(V, GF)
Tian of Mackerel (GF)
Pan fried scallops with Black Pudding
Mushroom Pate (V)
To follow: Lemon Sorbet
West Country Fillet Steak 6oz (GF) Peppercorn sauce, herb sauté potatoes & a selection of vegetables
Stuffed Chicken Breast Wrapped in air-dried ham, stuffed with mushroom pate, white wine & mushroom cream sauce, with potatoes Dauphinoise & a selection of vegetables
Sea Bass Fillet (GF) Pan fried with spring onions, garlic & Chilli, served with herb sauté potatoes & a selection of vegetables.
Courgette & Sun-dried tomato risotto (V) (GF) Topped with Parmesan shavings
Chocolate Shot, Chocolate Brownie & berries
Sticky Gingerbread Pudding, Ginger & Brandy sauce & Custard
Lemon Cheesecake with chocolate dipped strawberries
Cheese Board – A selection of local cheeses & biscuits
Enjoy Coffee & Mints in the Snug after your meal
Not just restricted to the capital, London 2012 Olympic events are being held nationwide. The South West county of Dorset is the proud home of the July sailing events, with Weymouth and Portland providing ideal natural harbours for two full weeks of exhilarating nautical events.
Whether you are planning to stay a day, a week or for the entire duration of the Olympic sailing events, you will of course need a place to base yourself. Ideally located for Weymouth and Portland, as well as the entire south coast of England, Fernhill Hotel in Charmouth is just 25 miles from the main games.
Not only ideally located for the Olympics, but its location on the Jurassic Coast makes our hotel a great place to combine the games with a holiday by the sea. Our location offers guests convenient access to the stretch of rugged and prehistoric coastline of the south, whilst on-site there are plenty of facilities and amenities to make their stay comfortable and enjoyable.
Although we encourage our guests to get out there and explore the coast as well as visit the Olympic sailing events, we also make sure that for those who want time to relax, that they can do so at Fernhill Hotel. For complete indulgence, then our guests can treat themselves to a soothing massage or one of our other holistic therapies.
And of course no hotel by the sea would be complete without a heated swimming pool and a selection of comfy chairs and loungers. We even offer a pool-side drink and snack service so you don’t have to tear yourself away from a hard-day of soaking up the sun!
For our local and foreign guests, we ensure that we provide the best of British when it comes to dining. Our menu is always made of the best local, Organic, Fair-trade and seasonal produce (where possible) to ensure our ingredients are as fresh and tasty as can be from breakfast through to dinner.
With ample free parking on-site (something the Olympic towns will definitely run short of) as well as airy, spacious bedrooms and suites for our south-west visitors, Fernhill Hotel makes a great base for the Weymouth Olympic games next July.
Dear Rob & Jo
Please accept our apology for this belated thank you We have been very happily occupied with our lovely grandchildren.
We would like to offer a very sincere thank you for the wonderful reception you provided for our daughter Rowan’s wedding on September 24th 2011.
From our first meeting to discuss plans right through to the Sunday when we left the hotel, we found yourselves and your staff to be friendly, attentive and professional.
Jo, you were so helpful with all the planning and we found it easy and comfortable to work with you in deciding what we required. We felt confident you had understood the details and we were certainly not disappointed.
Rob, you were a great host. We really appreciated the unpretentious relaxed atmosphere, and many of our guests commented on the lovely ambience you have created.
Please give our compliments to your chef – we so enjoyed the seasonal local produce in the wedding breakfast. Please thank all the courteous waiting staff – they are a fabulous team.
Some of us were fortunate enough to stay the two nights of the wedding weekend. Having read a recent travel review in a Sunday paper, we can only agree that ” the bed was quite honestly the most comfortable I have ever slept in”!
You have created a delightful venue for weddings and we imagine you will be very busy into the future. Thank you once again.
with kind regards, Sally & John.
One vital aspect of providing an unrivalled one-stop experience for our guests is the quality and range of the food on offer, along with an outstanding level of service. At Fernhill, great food is an integral part of that experience: Meeting and exceeding your expectations is paramount plus it’s something we love to do. For your satisfaction and peace of mind, you’ll find:
Staff that want to serve you:
Have you ever been to a hotel or restaurant and were left with the distinct impression that the staff would rather do hard labour in a prison camp than serve you? If so, you’ll probably be keen to avoid paying for such a “privilege” again. Fortunately, we at Fernhill recognise that our guests deserve far better treatment, and the basis for selecting our team is as much on their attitude to guests as on their specific skills. Why take our word for it when you can visit our Dining Room between Tuesday and Saturday as a non-resident, or on any day of your choosing as a resident? A selection of sample menus is also available to whet your appetite.
If, as someone with specific dietary requirements, you’ve experienced frustration and disappointment because you were less than well catered for at a particular establishment, then you’re in for a very pleasant surprise at Fernhill. All you have to do is to inform us of your needs when you reserve your accommodation or book your table and we will make sure you are catered for. Our menus all note Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy free and Gluten free to help you make the right choices.
Have you ever been to a wedding or function where the food has left a lot to be desired, even when the venue has a good reputation for its catering facility or restaurant? Happily, in the same way that our chef is used to delighting our individual guests, groups and parties that choose Fernhill as their corporate or wedding venue have access to the very same level of dedication and expertise, and all naturally tailored to your requirements.
Why is this policy important? Firstly, it ensures quality for you, the paying guest. Intimate knowledge of our suppliers has been essential to upholding that quality. Secondly, it minimises our impact on the environment. You’ll be reassured to know that efforts in these areas have resulted in a Silver Award from the Green Tourism Business Scheme and the highest rated AA Three Star hotel in west Dorset.
So, if the weather has put paid to any local excursion you had planned, remember there’s always plenty to do, and eat, here at Fernhill.
This week we hosted another wedding celebration to remember – and it reminds us just how important the Big Day is to any Bride and Groom – and also their close friends and family. This particular bride and groom were relaxed and laid back and very clear on how they wanted their Day to go. They were a pleasure to take care of as a result and they seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves! They are a great example of how to plan and enjoy a wedding.
We have years of experience in providing the very best for every couple’s Big Day and there are always some key areas of stress:
- Mr X and Mr Y haven’t spoken in years – I’m worried they’ll be offended if the other is attending as well…?
- What if someone doesn’t like the menu I have chosen?
- I can’t work out the seating plan so everyone will be happy?
- I’m so sad its all over – it went by so fast
In a nutshell our advice in all these situations is to please yourself first and your friend’s / family second. The reason for this is that it is YOUR DAY and while you obviously want to please all your loved ones, it is impossible to please everyone – someone will always wish you had done something else. So instead take some time to think about what you really want.
Be clear on your MUST HAVE elements
What are the key things are really important to you? Once you have decided what the key elements HAVE to be, then you can tell those people you love what they are. When they understand what is really important to you, they are less likely to argue over them. You are also less likely to give them up!
What things are NOT IMPORTANT to you?
Secondly there will be a whole host of things which really aren’t important to you. Telling those people who help you organise your event - family or the cake maker, dressmaker, DJ and Venue can help those people take the pressure off you. If they are clear on the ‘must haves’ and the ‘not important’ items, they can go ahead and plan for you. This means less thinking about the ‘not important’ things, and more time to consider the ‘Must haves’!
Fernhill organises many weddings for happy couples. Some have specific ideas which we deliver for them. Others are less clear on what they want, so we spend time with them suggesting options until we understand what the MUST HAVE and NOT IMPORTANT elements are. Then we can plan and deliver their Perfect Day. Make sure whoever you choose for your event can do the same.
It seems that Prince William, in common with every other Groom about to walk down the aisle is getting pre-wedding jitters. In Prince Will’s case the very public nature of his imminent nuptials multiplies those nerves 100 fold (well, probably 1billion-fold since that’s the number expected to tune in and watch the Big Day on TV alone!)
Weddings are usually the happiest and most emotional days of your life. The planning and preparation of sometimes epic proprtions can build up stress and nerves that everything won’t be exactly as planned for, but usually these worries are unfounded. At Fernhill every wedding is planned and organised for you, so on the Day the Bride and Groom can relax and just enjoy their hard work being turned into their Perfect Day to remember forever.
Here are our top tips to making sure your Big Day is as stress-free as possible:
- Remember its YOUR Day! Parents, family members and well-meaning friends sometimes get as excited about your Big Day as you – and this can make it hard not to involve too many people – and more importantly include their views. Before you know it your Big Day will resemble nothing you had imagined! Whilst it is great to take advice from friends and family remember this is one day which is totally and utterly about the Bride and Groom. No matter how hard you try to please everyone – someone will always be disappointed. So cut your stress from the outset and make sure you choose what is right for you. If Aunt Maud doesn’t like eating Lamb but you want Lamb on your wedding day, then for one day surely Aunt Maud won’t mind!
- Planning is good to a point, but don’t get too caught up in the detail Wedding planning can snowball into a massive life consuming commitment – which many people love, but to avoid it taking over your life, it is important to remember that it is only one day. There are probably specific things which are very important to you both, and some aspects which aren’t so important. For example having all your friends available for photos directly after the ceremony may be extremely important, but whether you have a fruit cake or chocolate Wedding cake may not be so critical. Write a list of your ‘Dream Day, and use this to pull out the ‘Must-haves’ and the ‘Would-be-nice’ items. This will help you focus on those things that will make your Big Day perfect. You can then make sure you don;t waste time on those areas which do not need too much attention
- Brief everyone involved thoroughly before the Big Day. Everyone involved in your Big Day will want to make it perfect for you, so make sure they full understand your wishes well in advance. Ensure your Venue, Photographer, Cake maker, Dress maker and anyone else providing those vital wedding day ingredients has a clear brief on what you want on the Day, so you can leave them to get on with it and just enjoy the experience.
- Make sure some close friends and family know how you would like your day to run. Similar to point 3 – your nearest and dearest will want you to have the day of your Life, so make sure they know exactly what that looks like for you. They can then each take a responsibility to help make it happen for you, leaving you free to relax and enjoy..
- Plan ahead for ‘worst case’ situations. Are there going to be lots of under-10′s who will be bored before dessert? Do you have guests who don’t see eye to eye? Have the 2 families mnet before the wedding or will there be a lot of relative ‘strangers’ at your reception? If you plan for the ‘wost case’ situations then nothing can go wrong! Perhaps a friend with children could organise some entertainment for the younger guests during the wedding breakfast to allow everyone else to enjoy the meal. Maybe a pre-wedding dinner could break the ice with family memebers who haven’t had the opportunity to meet before.
- Enjoy the whole experience! We all hope we will only be getting married once, so enjoy the whole experience, from the Proposal, to choosing the Venue, planning the menu, trying on the dress, agreeing the flowers, saying ‘I do’, to the first dance, to saying goodnight to the last guest. Make sure you stop regularly during the Big Day to take a mental snapshot – how you feel, what you can see, what had happened. It is all over too quickly and before you know it everything passes in a blur! Make sure all your guests take plenty of pictures and you take ‘time out’ during the Day to enjoy the feeling.
Our first wedding of the Year went well with the Bride & Groom partying till the small hours, and everyone having a fantastic time. A sit down menu for almost 50 then an evening buffet and disco for 70 made this an intimate celebration with plenty of space to enjoy (we can cater for up to 98 for a sit down and 120 for the evening) but the space was well used and our refurbishments to the downstairs cloakrooms were well received.
A Wonderful wedding, well planned & a very happy set of guests. The food and rooms were all fantastic, and thanks to all at Fernhill for a fine day to remember – Chris & Elaine
We love to host a wedding and can offer a wide variety of services and menus to suit any style of celebration. We have provided a Classic English high tea, Hot buffet with Moroccan Tagine & Harissa, Free Range Hog Roasts instead of evening buffet, and restaurant standard menu selections with 3-4 choices for guests to select.
Our first wedding of the year over and the next one being planned – our thoughts are to everything bridal. And we stumbled on this fabulous website builder perfect for every Bride and Groom!
It allows you to build a wedding website – with all the info for the Big Day saving time, money and paper/postage…
A great Green alternative – send your wedding invitations, coordinate RSVP’s and menu choices, arrange who is staying in which hotel, and even organise lift sharing all in one place.
We will be suggesting this to every wedding couple from now on!