Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage HQ is 5 miles from the Fernhill Hotel just outside Axminster. River Cottage Canteen in Axminster is also popular to sample River Cottage cuisine
Part of making any holiday extra special is the food. At Fernhill Hotel we offer an all-British menu made up of seasonal and local produce and ingredients which are Organic and Fair-trade.
Our A La Carte menu features traditional dishes with a contemporary twist, such as the West Country Fillet Steak with a Boozy Peppercorn Cream Sauce and the Line- caught Sea Bass Fillet with Spring Onion and Ginger-Soy Dressing. We also offer a Bar & Grill menu for other national favourites including the Sunday Roast with all the trimmings. But if you want to experience more first class dining, then just a short 5- minute drive away are two of the country’s leading celebrity-chef owned restaurants.
In Lyme Regis looking over the harbour is Mark Hix’s Oyster & Fish House, offering sensational panoramic views of the Jurassic Coast whilst you tuck into the freshest, local seafood. Mark Hix has awards coming out of his ears, has published not one, not two but nine cookbooks, has created menus for the like of The Ivy and Mayfair’s Brown’s hotel and regularly writes the food column in Esquire and Country life magazines as well as weekly for The Independent newspaper. With these sorts of credentials under his belt, you know dishes at his Oyster & Fish House are going to provide a taste-sensation. Offering great British ingredients such as Dorset crab and grilled lemon sole, all to be eaten in a spacious yet informal setting, it’s not surprising that pre-booking is recommended for the Hix Oyster & Fish House.
One of the biggest, if not THE biggest, celebrity chefs right now is of course Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, and just down the road in Axminster is not only the River Cottage HQ, but also his River Cottage Canteen and Deli. The Canteen dishes are as local and as fresh as they get, with the ever-changing menu not only inspiring and delicious, but more than reasonably priced, too. With local mutton, mussels and mushrooms all regularly on the menu, the Canteen really offers the best of Dorset. The Deli at the front of the Canteen offers diners or passers-by to sample the tastes of River Cottage, providing fresh and locally produced quiches, cakes and ciders (plus much more) you can eat in or take-away.
We offer a Celebrity Chef Package so you can combine the best of both worlds – one night Bed & Breakfast so you can enjoy a table at either Hix Oyster & Fish House or River Cottage Canteen (we’ll even book the table for you, subject to availability!) plus one night Dinner, Bed & Breakfast with us so you can relax and enjoy cuisine which many describe as equally as tasty!
So if you are planning your next holiday along the Jurassic Coast, then why not stay at Fernhill Hotel
and sample the tastes of Dorset in either of these local celebrity restaurants.
Winter is definitely on the way, but that’s no reason not to plan a short break in the South West! Save up to £170 with our Autumn/Winter deals..
We offering you a third night FREE when you book 2 nights with us until the 22nd December so there’s no excuse to let the weather get to you – plan a few days’ R&R with plenty of fresh sea air and good food.
Haven’t got 3 days spare? We’re offering up to 20% off our rates for Sunday-Thursday stays as well!
Here are some of the great activities you could be enjoying…
- Walk the stunning Jurassic Coastline - we are on the coastal path diversion and the Jurassic Bus Route so walking and travelling without car are simple. We have many walks available for both the experienced walker and the more relaxed stroller.
- Dine in one of our local Celebrity Chef restaurants – River Cottage Canteen and River Cottage HQ are less than 5 miles away, and Mark Hix’ Oyster and Fish House Lyme Regis is within walking distance.
- Fish the local waters with one of the local fishermen – and we’ll cook your catch for dinner if you wish!
- Tempt the taste buds by visiting some of the many wonderful food producers we have – The Town Mill Lyme Regis alone houses a local Cheesemonger, Bakery and tea & dining room – all have won awards in their class.
- Try some Fossil hunting on the beaches – a truly relaxing pastime with new treasures to find each day! The Charmouth Heritage Coast Centre is a great place to start.
- Head East to Burton Bradstock or West to Beer to relax in some of our coastal villages and enjoy some local produce while soaking up those stunning views.
- Spend some time exploring the historic buildings and gardens we have locally – Kingston Maurward, Mapperton, Abbotsbury and Forde Abbey to name but a few.
- Many museums whether you like Tanks & Military, Tutankhamun, Teddy bears or Dinosaurs.
- For the kids (large or small!) there are many many attractions from Creely to Pecorama and many more!
We haven’t mentioned the shopping, farms, beaches, or the many National Trust properties in the region…there really is something for everyone – 3 days will only scratch the surface!
Book a short stay at our discounted rates and enjoy everything West Dorset, Devon & Somerset have to offer without the crowds this autumn/winter.